IN THIS COURSE, you're going to learn, practice, review, and master 120 basic statements in ASL. First, we make sure you’ve mastered personal and possessive pronouns. Next, the 120 statements are divided into groups of ten. Each ASL statement has its own video lesson where the statement is broken down into individual signs. The instructor will teach you handshape, hand position, and hand motion for each sign.
NEXT, the signs are put together and we practice signing the full statement. After each group of 10 statements, we have mini-review. After 3 groups of 10 statements (30 statements) there is mid-review. All review sections have two parts to test the student’s signing and understanding abilities. After learning all 120 statements, we sign full ASL narratives created with mix and matched vocabulary and sentence structures from the ASL statements.
*** This course is designed to INCLUDE complete beginners without any sign language experience.
IN THIS COURSE:
- Students will learn to sign and understand one hundred and twenty (120) useful statements in ASL
- Students will learn to sign and understand over three hundred (300+) individual vocabulary signs
- Students will master personal and possessive pronouns in American Sign Language
- Students will learn handshape, hand position, and hand motion for each of the 300+ signs
- Students will use vocabulary signs and sentence structures to sign full narratives in ASL
- Students will be tested on signing and understanding ability for all vocabulary and statements
AFTER TAKING THIS COURSE:
- Students will be able to correctly sign one hundred and twenty (120) basic ASL statements.
- Students will be able to understand and recognize all one hundred and twenty (120) statements.
- Students will have learned over three hundred (300+) individual signs in American Sign Language.
- Students will be able to use the vocabulary and sentence structures to create new ASL statements.
- Students will be more confident signing complete statements with the Deaf community.
What is the main focus of this course?
- This course focuses on learning many basic but essential statements in American Sign Language. Students will learn one hundred and twenty (120) common sentence structures in ASL and 300+ individual signs.
Do I need to have prior knowledge or experience with ASL before taking this class?
- No. This course is designed to include complete beginners without any prior knowledge of ASL. All necessary signs are taught step by step in the course.
Will this course test me on what is taught?
- Yes. This course contains multiple review and testing sections where students have the opportunity to demonstrate their ASL signing and recognition skills.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
- Hello! My name is Michael. When I was three years old, my younger brother became sick with spinal meningitis. In the process, my brother became deaf with an almost complete hearing loss. This difficult situation provided a unique opportunity for my family and I to become fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). My brother was not sent away to a deaf or hard of hearing school. He grew up with us, his hearing family, and we were active in the deaf community.
- As a former police officer and federal investigator, I often used ASL to communicate with and serve members of the Deaf community. I decided to create simple, step-by-step ASL courses because sign language is a useful and fun skill to have. Like learning any language, it opens your mind and creates the ability to communicate with a whole new group of people.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner ASL students who wish to learn and start signing immediately
- Improving ASL students who wish to practice, test, and boost their signing and understanding abilities