IN THIS COURSE, you’re going to first learn the ASL alphabet with lots of review and fun activities. Next, you’ll learn the five (5) fingerspelling rules and fingerspell common letter combinations, acronyms, and single words up to eight (8) letters in length. After that, you’ll learn how to correctly fingerspell multiple words. You’ll get LOTS of practice fingerspelling and understanding celebrity names, famous places, vehicles, and popular movies.
NEXT, you’ll get hands-on experience with real world fingerspelling skills. You’ll learn to sign complete sentences that mix fingerspelling and vocabulary signs. We’ll teach you handshape, hand position, and hand movement for each vocabulary sign with lots of repetition and practice.
THROUGHOUT the course, there is LOTS of review and testing. We do review in two parts: 1) signing and 2) understanding (2 speeds). To make the learning process smoother, the understanding review has two speeds: slow and fast. As you become comfortable with the slower speed, you can level up to the faster speed.
*** This course is designed to INCLUDE complete beginners without any sign language experience.
IN THIS COURSE:
- Students will learn the ASL alphabet divided into smaller groups of letters with continual review.
- Students will learn each individual letter at a slow pace to guarantee understanding.
- Students will view each ASL letter from multiple angles to ensure precise hand and finger positioning.
- Students will participate in fun activities to memorize, increase speed, and improve finger fluency.
- Students will learn and apply the five (5) fingerspelling rules to improve communication efficiency.
- Students will fingerspell and understand common letter combinations, acronyms, and single words up to eight (8) letters in length.
- Students will learn to fingerspell and understand names, movies, places, and vehicles with multiple words.
- Students will learn to mix fingerspelling and signing to communicate complete sentences in ASL.
- Students will be tested on their ability to sign and understand individual letters, the entire ASL alphabet, single words, multiple words, and full sentences.
- Students will build confidence and gain hands-on experience as they prepare for fingerspelling and signing with other ASL signers.
AFTER TAKING THIS COURSE:
- Students will have a high level of fluency in signing and understanding the ASL alphabet letters.
- Students will understand and be able to correctly apply the five (5) fingerspelling rules.
- Students will be able to fingerspell and understand letter combinations, single words, and multiple words.
- Students will be able to fingerspell smoothly and quickly with confidence.
- Students will have hands-on experience with complete sentences which combine fingerspelling and signing.
- Students will be more enthusiastic and self-confident as they sign with members of the Deaf community.
- A desire to learn, improve, and be more confident signing in ASL
- A desire to enrich your ASL vocabulary and communication skills
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone to access the study material
What is the main focus of this course?
- This course focuses on becoming proficient with the ASL alphabet and fingerspelling in American Sign Language. Students will build confidence and gain hands-on experience as they prepare for fingerspelling and signing with other signers and members of the Deaf community.
Do I need to have prior knowledge or experience with ASL before taking this class?
- No. This course is designed to include complete beginners without any prior knowledge of ASL. All necessary signs are taught step by step in the course.
Will this course test me on what is taught?
- Yes. This course contains multiple review and testing sections where students have the opportunity to demonstrate their ASL signing and recognition skills.
Who this course is for?
- Beginner ASL students who wish to learn and start signing immediately
- Improving ASL students who wish to practice, test, and boost their signing and fingerspelling abilities